Tom was just awarded his third Helen Hayes Award for his work with Constellation Theatre production of Journey to the West.
Please be on the lookout for a release late summer with Woodwind wizard Seth Kibel on their project Tiny Planet.
Tom is also continuing a project with classical guitarist, Peter Fields on a program including Brazilian, Cuban and Argentinian songs as well as world music arrangements of pop tunes by Sting, Al Green and others. Look for audio and video on these projects soon!
Tom's DVD/Book set, An American Approach to World Percussion was nominated for Drum! Magazine Drummie Award for best drum book of 2016!
It is available at http://www.alfred.com/Products/An-American-Approach-to-World-Percussion--00-44486.aspx It is also available here DVD's
For the 4th straight year Tom was awarded WAMA (Washington Area Music Association) the 2015 World Music Instrumentalist of the Year. His recent CD, Dreams of India, was also awarded the 2015 World Music Recording of the Year. The soundtrack, Dreams of India is available at iTunes, Amazon CD Baby and this site. Please visit the store to preview and purchase Tom's new CD, Dreams of India.
Tom was awarded the Drummie Award by Drum! Magazine for 2016 World Percussionist of the Year. He was also awarded first runner-up for Percussion Clinician of the Year!
Rebecca Ritzel The Washington Post stated, in a recent CD review, that Tom is ..."a multi-instrumental genius" for his compelling performance on over fifteen different instruments!
- 2016 DRUM! Magazine Drummie Award World Percussionist of the Year
- 2016 DRUM! Magazine First runner-up Percussion Clinician
- Five Fulbright-Hayes Awards for collaborating with indigenous master musicians
- U.S. Department of State Cultural Envoy for historic performances in Jerusalem, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, and Iraq, New Zealand and Korea
- WAMA Washington Area Music Award for Outstanding World Music Instrumentalist 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015
- WAMA Washington Area Music Area Music Award for Outstanding World Music Recording 2015
- Helen Hayes Awards 2010, 2011, 2016 for Outstanding Sound Design; 2012, 2014, 2015 nominations
- Young Audiences of Virginia Artist of The Year
- Kennedy Center Artist-In-Residence
- Collaborator with National Symphony
- Author of An American Approach to World Percussion Book / DVD Published by Alfred Music Publishers
- Feature Articles in Modern Drummer and Drum! Magazine
- Endorser/Clinician for Yamaha, Sabian, Vic Firth, Remo, Gon Bops, and Cooperman Frame Drums
- CMJ New World Charting Artist five years straight