Tom was just nominated for his seventh Helen Hayes Award for Outstanding Sound Design for his work with Constellation Theater's production of Arabian Nights by Mary Zimmerman!
Tom has just returned from Oman where he was performing at the Muscat Arts Festival. This was at the invitation of the U.S. Embassy in Muscat. Similar cultural programs have taken him to Iraq, Bahrain, New Zealand, Jerusalem, Korea, Saudi Arabia and more.
There was an article/review in the Oman Observer about his performances.
The release of the CD Tiny Planet with Woodwind wizard Seth Kibel on their project is now out and available at iTunes, Amazon and all commercial outlets. You can preview and purchase here
Tom was awarded his third Helen Hayes Award for his work with Constellation Theatre production of Journey to the West.
He is also continuing a project with classical guitarist, Peter Fields on a program including Brazilian, Cuban and Argentinian songs as well as world music arrangements of pop tunes by Sting, Al Green and others. Look for audio and video on these projects soon!
Tom's DVD/Book set, An American Approach to World Percussion was nominated for Drum! Magazine Drummie Award for best drum book of 2016!
It is available at http://www.alfred.com/Products/An-American-Approach-to-World-Percussion--00-44486.aspx It can also be found here DVD's
For the 4th straight year Tom was awarded WAMA (Washington Area Music Association) the 2015 World Music Instrumentalist of the Year. His recent CD, Dreams of India, was also awarded the 2015 World Music Recording of the Year. The soundtrack, Dreams of India is available at iTunes, Amazon CD Baby and this site. Please visit the store to preview and purchase Tom's new CD, Dreams of India.
Tom was awarded the Drummie Award by Drum! Magazine for 2016 World Percussionist of the Year. He was also awarded first runner-up for Percussion Clinician of the Year!
Rebecca Ritzel The Washington Post stated, in a recent CD review, that Tom is ..."a multi-instrumental genius" for his compelling performance on over fifteen different instruments!
- 2016 DRUM! Magazine Drummie Award World Percussionist of the Year
- 2016 DRUM! Magazine First runner-up Percussion Clinician
- Five Fulbright-Hayes Awards for collaborating with indigenous master musicians
- U.S. Department of State Cultural Envoy for historic performances in Jerusalem, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, and Iraq, New Zealand and Korea
- WAMA Washington Area Music Award for Outstanding World Music Instrumentalist 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015
- WAMA Washington Area Music Area Music Award for Outstanding World Music Recording 2015
- Helen Hayes Awards 2010, 2011, 2016 for Outstanding Sound Design; 2012, 2014, 2015 nominations
- Young Audiences of Virginia Artist of The Year
- Kennedy Center Artist-In-Residence
- Collaborator with National Symphony
- Author of An American Approach to World Percussion Book / DVD Published by Alfred Music Publishers
- Feature Articles in Modern Drummer and Drum! Magazine
- Endorser/Clinician for Yamaha, Sabian, Vic Firth, Remo, Gon Bops, and Cooperman Frame Drums
- CMJ New World Charting Artist five years straight
Tom Teasley, described in the Washington Post as “a multi-instrumental genius,” maintains a unique career as a solo percussionist, composer and collaborator. He is the 2016 Drummie Award winner for “World Percussionist of the Year by Drum! Magazine. Tom is a 2010, 2011 and 2017 Helen Hayes Theatre Award recipient for outstanding sound design (nominations in 2012, 2014, 2015). Tom tours frequently throughout the world performing and presenting clinics for the instrument companies he endorses including Yamaha, Vic Firth, Sabian, Remo, Gon Bops and others. His educational book /DVD, An American Approach to World Percussion is published by Alfred Publishing. Tom is the 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 WAMA (Washington Area Music Award) World Music Instrumentalist of the year. A six-time recipient of a Fulbright-Hayes grant for performances in the Middle East, Tom collaborated with indigenous musicians and gave historic performances by invitation of U.S. embassies in Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Iraq, Samoa, Oman and Jerusalem. He has been an artist-in-residence at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts and has collaborated with the National Symphony as both a soloist and composer. As an international collaborator he has performed by invitation in Europe, South America, New Zealand, Samoa and Korea. Tom earned the Artist-of-the-year award from Young Audiences of Virginia for his creative and educational presentations. His eight CDs have been greeted with international airplay and acclaim. He has been the subject of numerous feature articles in both Modern Drummer Downbeat and Drum! magazines. Please visit www.tomteasley.com for more information